Sunday, July 27, 2008

"Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Already Taken"

Tonight Husband and I got to see the S.E.L.L.O.U.T. comedy tour at Morty's Comedy Joint in Indianapolis. Had it not been for Optimist football I would not have known they were going to be here. Let me explain. Earlier this week I took Bear for his football evaluation, I met another mother whose son happens to be a friend of Bear's. We got to talking about things and she mentioned that she is a comedian. I was intrigued...it's not everyday that you meet someone who has been on television and travels the country doing stand up comedy. Anyway, I must have made an impression because she got me 2 tickets to the show tonight. I had looked forward to it all week. What started as going to a comedy show turned into a terrific date night with Husband. The night started with dinner at Woodfire Grill, it happens to be our new favorite place. Husband had the Fishy Fishy sandwich (which is Mahi Mahi that is grilled) and I had the pulled pork sandwich. My sandwich was so big that I couldn't finish even half of it (the barbecue sauce is wonderful). This place has the best pickles I have ever eaten, seriously. After dinner we drove 30 minutes to the north side to see the show. Much to my surprise, Morty's is a really nice club. There was only a couple of seats that could conceivably be called a 'bad' seat. The house was packed and the comedians were fantastic. "Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Already Taken" is the official moto of the tour. It's a hilarious show about removing stereotypes and being 'sellouts' to their race. Some of the jokes were so funny I was near tears. After all four comedians had performed they answered anonymous questions from the audience. The Q & A session quite possibly was the best part of the show as it is entirely improv'd. All in all, it was a fantastic night and I highly recommend that you see the show if you have the opportunity.

No comments: